Early Childhood Australia (ECA) is committed to ensuring that education and care professionals everywhere have access to affordable, evidence-based skills and knowledge development.
Management and leadership are companions in the delivery of high-quality education and care service provision. This program has been designed to strengthen the management capability of service managers—helping them to build their skills, knowledge and confidence to meet their day-to-day responsibilities in whatever service or organisation type they work in.
Program folder, printed checklist & audit tools
14 Online core courses
Certificate of completion
Purchase the ECA Management Fundamentals Program for $999 and get a free tote and mug*.
Limited Holiday offer valid until 31/12/23
$1,249.00 Non-Members $1,112.10 ECA Member and ECA Learning Hub Subscriber
*free tote and mug only available while stock lasts
The ECA Management Fundamentals Program includes core courses and a folder containing materials essential to the program. The program folder should be used alongside the online components. There are additional supporting resources and bonus elective content that participants can engage with based on the needs of their context.
The ECA Management Fundamentals Program complements the ECA Leadership Program in developing a complete range of capabilities across the management and leadership spectrum.
The courses in the ECA Management Fundamentals Program will build on the strengths that education and care professionals bring to their management role and ensure they are prepared to take on other roles across the scope of the education and care sector. The diversity of settings and roles has brought about different levels of management responsibility and obligations to those in governance roles, owners, staff, communities and the sector.
Working through the online courses in the program will allow managers to engage in the practical learning and deep reflection that supports high-quality management practices across a range of education and care service types.
By completing this program, participants will be able to apply the following learning outcomes:
- explain the purpose of management
- recognise an education and care service as a business in a complex sector
- identify key functions and systems of management
- recognise management concepts in the education and care service context
- understand more recent approaches to managing organisations.
The ECA Management Fundamentals Program covers:
- an introduction to management in education and care
- philosophy, purpose and planning
- understanding governance and legal frameworks
- financial management systems
- human resource management
- risk mitigation and management
- decision-making and effective communication.
The ECA Management Fundamentals Program is designed specifically for managers and aspiring managers in a variety of education and care contexts, including early childhood, outside school hours care and school settings.
The intended audience of the program is:
- educational leaders
- team or room leaders
- experienced early childhood educators and teachers
- experienced and new service directors and managers
- early childhood consultants.
When you enrol in the ECA Management Fundamentals Program, you will receive access to:
- program folder
- fourteen core online courses
- elective online courses
- online tools and resources
- printed checklists and audit tools
- Certificate of Completion.
Management and leadership are companions in the delivery of high quality education and care service provision. The Program has been designed to support managers in developing their skills, enhancing their knowledge and elevating their confidence in meeting the day-to-day management responsibilities in whatever service or organisation type they work in.
Participating in the program will enhance your management skills, knowledge and abilities, and help you excel in a wide range of management and governance-related activities, including:
- service planning
- navigating legal frameworks
- financial management
- human resource management
- risk mitigation and management
- decision-making and change management
- effective communication.
Organisations must be strategic about developing and nurturing future managers that possess the necessary skills to operate effective and high-quality education and care services.
Improving management skills across the organisation can significantly improve the effectiveness of work teams and, ultimately, the quality of education and care delivered to children and families. Capable, consistent management can also increase productivity, reduce staff turnover and support long term viability in a rapidly changing context.
Nurturing future leaders with targeted management professional learning through the ECA Management Fundamentals Program will support succession planning and enhance employee career pathways.
The ECA Management Fundamentals Program was developed with an understanding that early childhood managers, leaders and individuals aspiring to grow their business and management abilities face complex and often demanding workloads. The Program is self-directed and can be undertaken at a pace that suits you—over 16 weeks or up to 12 months. It includes a combination of hard-copy and interactive online learning resources, with a folder including tools, checklists and custom resources.
You can enrol in and commence the ECA Management Fundamentals Program at any time.
The Program is self-paced and the online resources will be accessible online for one year from the date of purchase. While it’s possible to complete the Program in just three months of part-time study, it may take longer, depending on your availability and whether you choose to engage with any additional resources as you work through the Program materials.
What happens once I purchase the ECA Management Fundamentals Program?
Please note that the ECA Management Fundamentals Program course is not available on the ECA Learning Hub until early-November. This means that you will receive access to the course in early-November.
- Within 48 hours of your purchase, you will be sent an email from ECA with your online access to the ECA Learning Hub portal.
- Once you receive your online access, you can start the ECA Management Fundamentals Program whenever you like.
- Within 1-2 days of receiving your order, your ECA Management Fundamentals Program folder will be posted to you. This folder contains printed checklists and audit tools you require for the program. Please note that you will need this folder to complete your online courses.
- You will receive a certificate of completion when you have completed all compulsory components of the program (online learning modules and webinars).
About the Author
Ian Alchin is a recognised leader in the early childhood sector. He is acknowledged for his insightful and inspirational approach to contemporary leadership and management. Ian crafts bespoke and customised business and professional development programs, drawing on his many years of success leading organisations in the sector.
Ian’s work focuses on developing capable people and sustainable organisations in diverse settings in Australia and internationally. This includes organisational leadership that connects strongly to professional practice and has a positive impact on children and communities. He regards organisations as social enterprises that need to deliver positive results to be sustainable.