Making explicit links to the Early Years Learning Framework and the Australian Curriculum, this text is based on current research and theoretical perspectives, and includes practical strategies and activities to equip educators with the knowledge and skills they need to effectively support young children’s learning of language and literacy.
- Emphasis on the key areas of oral language, reading, writing and children’s literature
- Clearly presented links to the Early Years Learning Framework and the Australian Curriculum
- Toolboxes of teaching strategies and ideas that can be implemented in a range of settings
- Review questions and activities for each topic, to encourage self-assessment.
New to this edition
- Appendix A: Compendium of Teaching Strategies and Activities for Language and Literacy
- Appendix B: Test Your Language and Literacy Knowledge
- Pause and reflect sections: questions to prompt readers to stop and reflect on important topics
- Professional insights features: relevant examples from theory, research and practice
Additional learning activities and questions to promote deeper understanding and improved practice
- New references to international research in all chapters
- Additional material on children from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds
- Coverage of contemporary trends in literacy education such as visual literacy, multimodal and digital literacy
- Revised chapters on ICT and Children’s Literature.