Written by an experienced practitioner that has consulted on over 2000 early childhood settings and schools internationally, this book considers all aspects of the outdoor learning environment and provides practical support on:
- planning procedures and ideas for designs;
- a wide variety of play within a playground through the inclusion of quiet, open and active play areas;
- stimulating and challenging play;
- a natural environment that will provide interest and sustainability;
- spaces for toddlers and babies;
- playground needs for children with additional needs.
About the author:
Prue Walsh is an early childhood graduate whose work has concentrated on creating effective and stimulating early childhood play environments. This work covers site assessment and the design of buildings and playgrounds in early childhood centres. Prue has also been involved in the development of public policy documents, most significantly the Best Practice Guidelines in Early Childhood Physical Environments.